Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Another Work in Progress

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've posted anything.  Then again, I have to confess I haven't finished anything to write about!

I do want to tell you my BFF loves her crazy little quilt!  I called her and said I failed to get her BD card in the mail, and wanted to bring it to her (some 12-15 miles away) and visit a few minutes.  I had the quilt  in a pretty decorated keeper gift box which she loved.  She said, "Big card!"  and then opened the box.  Of  course, I had the label turned up, and after reading it, she yanked the quilt out and held it out at arm's length and started laughing, as I knew she would.  She called her husband in from the back yard to show him, and of course, he laughed too.  We hugged each other, and then went out to their deck to eat the delicious fried pies I had also taken, from a special local bakery.  They have an African Grey bird that talks really well, almost in paragraphs, and he entertained us until I had to leave in about 45 minutes.  The love and laughter we shared made the trip well worth it!

Here's the back side of what I've been working on a few days.  Don't look too closely; there's lots of wobblies there.  Just consider that it is an experiment in free motion quilting, and really I probably should do a lot of ripping, but instead I'll just label it "My First" in that technique!



I'm to the point of having to make some hard decisions on finishing it, so I'll wait a bit longer to show you the front.  I should tell you that the color in the picture is far off!  It really is a pretty baby blue, but believe me, it's not for a baby!  This baby is for me, and it will have almost as interesting story as my last big flimsy.  You probably won't believe it!

I'm really tired tonight.  I had done a lot of thread tucking this morning, and this afternoon I helped a friend sandwich a couple of large quilts.  She uses spray adhesive rather than pinning like I do, and she needed help.  One is 90" x 104", a little much for one person to handle the way she does it.  She's done a great job on the piecing, and it has beautiful fabrics.  Maybe she will let me show it when she finishes it....maybe.  She's not into blogging.

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day.  I did a little research on my daddy and his dad, and learned something I never would have imagined.  They both registered for duty in World War I on the very same day.  If I understood the rules back then, there were three days to register, depending on one's age.  The web site said three registration dates occurred between 1917 and 1918, and I quote, "The 1st was held 5 Jun 1917 for men ages 21-31.  The 2nd was held 5 Jun 1918 for men who turned 21 since the 1st registration.  The 3rd started 12 Sep 1918 for men ages 18-45."  Daddy's Registration Card shows him to be 20 years old, and my Grandfather's Registration Card shows him to be 43, with both of them registering on September 12, 1918.  Of course, the Armistice was signed on November 11, 1918, just two months later.

My mother and father had not yet married, and she and a girl friend had gone by horse and buggy to the County Seat about ten miles from Mother's parents' home where she lived.  At the time she was 19 years old.  I have the original letter, complete with stamped and postmarked envelope for the letter she wrote to her husband-to-be the next day, November 12, 1918.  She told him about all the excitement and happiness in the town because the war was over.  She said people were shouting and dancing around the Courthouse, blowing whistles, and all the stores were closed, "not even a confectionery was open!"  Everyone was happy and wanted the world to know it, she wrote.

(You really needed to know all that, didn't you?)  *giggle*

I am so grateful that neither Daddy nor Granddaddy had to see active duty overseas, but I'm so grateful and proud that both would have been willing to do so if necessary, in order that our country could remain free.

I'm so thankful for the many men and even women who over the years have served and have preserved our freedom to live and worship as we each please, even at the risks to their own lives.   May we never forget!  And may God bless those who are still serving in order that we may remain free!

---"Love"


 

2 comments:

  1. Your quilting is awesome!!! It's wonderful that you were able to find out that information on your Daddy and Grandaddy! It's amazing what one can find out now if one takes the time to research. I want to do that and I have done some, but other things take priority. I really need to work on genealogy though. My Dad was working for Zenith during WWII and it was considered an essential industry to make radios for the troops. He was in his 30s then and I don't know what the rules were about age, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tease - a promise of a story of the quilt and then none! (I'm sure it's in the next post, but I'm being good and catching up in order.) But the quilting looks beautiful!
    Very interesting that your dad and grandfather both signed up to serve in WWI and I'm glad, too, that neither had to serve in active duty. (I wish we could all get along and nobody would ever have to do that!)

    ReplyDelete